Shutter is a screen capture software with a multitude of options, available for Linux operating systems.
Linux is, without a doubt, an operating system increasingly used. This is because Linux distributions are becoming easier to use, and offers all the possibilities that other Operating Systems such as Windows and Macintosh.
A large part of Linux's success is due to the multitude of tools and programs that are free. The software that we'll analyze can be used for capture PC's screen.
Shutter offers a great number of options to capture what is happening on the screen:
- Capture full desktop. This option offers the possibility to take a screenshot of the entire area of our desktop. If we are using multiple work areas, we will be able to choose which one we want to capture. We even have the possibility to take a single screenshot of all availables desktop areas.
- Window capture. With this option we can select a window and capture it. If a program opens “daughters” windows, we can capture any of those “daughters” windows.
- Capture drop-down Menus. Thanks to this option, we can capture drop-down menus of any application. This is the perfect option for creating tutorials, because we can make a screenshots of the menu that the user have to use. The program starts a countdown, during that, we must select the drop-down menu we want to capture.
- Capture selection. This option allows us to draw a square or rectangle, and to capture what the figure covers. We have the option of zooming in on the area that we're going to capture.
- Tooltips. This option capture pop-up windows that are shown from some applications.
If we want to repeat the last screenshot, we have the option to press the button “Redo last screenshot”.
Once we have made the screenshot, we can use the advanced graphics editor with which we can modify and add information to the screenshot. In this graphic editor we will be able to:
- Draw freehand line of any color.
- Highlight text with a marker color you choose. This tool allows you to simulate the function of a highlighter.
- Draw a straight line of any color.
- Draw arrows of any color. Very useful to highlight points of interest in the image.
- Draw squares, ellipses, and circles of any color.
- Add text in different colors, sizes and fonts. Very useful to insert brief instructions on the screen captures.
- Censor certain parts of the image to hide private data. We also have the option of pixelate certain parts of the image to hide private data.
- Insert “autoincreased form”. This consist in adding circles with a number inside. Everytime we draw new circle on the image, those circles will increase the inside number.
- Insert image. This option allows us to add, in a simple way, any image of our system, and overlap in the screenshot. In addition, the program includes a series of default icons (penguin Tux, question mark, exclamation mark, a sign of warning, etc) that can be inserted at any time. It even allows us to navigate easily through all the icons available in our system, which can be added quickly to our screenshots.
- Crop. In case we want to crop the image and reduce its size, we will be able to do so thanks to this option.
Shutter also allows the use of filters or add-ons, giving a unique style to the screen shots. Among other filters, we will be able to use: barrel distortion, negative, sepia, grayscale, puzzle, add watermark, etc. In this way we will be able to make a quick edit of the screen shots without needing to open another graphic editor software.
Once the screen shot is made and edited, we will be able to save it on our system or we can send it by e-mail, or create a CD/DVD. We can do this inside the own software.
Another available option is to upload images to an FTP server, or upload the screenshots to storage services such as: ImageShack, Imgur or ImmIO, among others. We can also upload the screenshots to DropBox or Ubuntu One, if we set up properly the program.
Without a doubt we are facing a very comprehensive software so we can avoid to use any other Operating system to perform this kind of task.
The program is open source and free. We can even collaborate in the project and to create plugins written in Perl.
- Shutter home
- Operating Systems
- Open Source