Audacious is a free audio player that supports all types of audio files.
This player stands out for its simplicity and possible use of different graphical interfaces.
If we miss the interface of the Winamp software, with Audacious, we can recover this aesthetics and "dress" the player with different Skins that remind us of the already retired Winamp.
We also have a more modern and broader interface, where we will see more information about the sound files being played, such as file format, quality, artist, album, etc.
Adding files to the playlist is as simple as dragging the files or folder to the player, and a playlist with the dragged files will be automatically created.
Playlist creation and management are essential in this program. We can create and save as many playlists as we want and organize the songs in the playlists by title, artist, track number, album, duration, etc. Some songs may be repeated if we import many songs into a playlist. Thanks to the "Remove duplicates" function, you can remove files with the same title or file name.
You can create a playlist queue of several playlists so that one playlist is played after another.
The program supports several list formats, such as ASXv1, ASXv2, ASXv3, M3U, PLS, and XSPF.
The program includes several plugins that extend the functions of the program. For example, we can activate a plugin to download album covers, or we can activate a plugin to download song lyrics automatically. It is also possible to activate a plugin to send the data of the songs we are playing to last.fm (Scrobbler).
We also have some sound effects that we can apply to the songs, including echo, speed and pitch, extra stereo, channel mixer, voice removal, and more.
If we use the voice removal filter and the automatic lyrics download plugin, we can easily simulate Karaoke.
Also included are three simple visualization plugins that will show a graphical representation of the sound. These plugins are spectrum analyzer, fuzzy and OpenGL spectrum analyzer.
The Windows version of the program does not include an installer. We must unzip the .zip file and run the program found in bin/audacious.exe.
The program is open source and is available for Windows and Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Audacious downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of Audacious.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install Audacious on your PC, you have to download the audacious-3.4.1-win32.zip file to your Windows and install it.
The audacious-3.4.1-win32.zip file is compressed, so you can download 7-zip and unzip the file.
- Is Audacious free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to Audacious?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.
- Audacious home
- Operating Systems
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Open Source