gedit is a text editor, free and cross-platform.
gedit is a simple yet powerful text editor that supports UTF-8, runs on both Linux and Macintosh and Windows, and is the default editor for GNOME. It was developed to promote simplicity and ease of the programming code.
Of course, gedit has all the standard functionality of any text editor: copy, paste and cut text, print, search and replace, set the language and check spelling, etc.. It also allows incremental search.
gedit allows us to work with multiple files open at once without consuming computer resources and has a flexible system that facilitates plugins adding extra features to the application.
gedit already comes with built-ins. Through the Edit -> Preferences you can see all plugins installed and active.
Also, since these preferences, you can change the fonts and colors used by default by others that you prefer, and set up more aspects of the editor. gedit is available in several languages, which makes it an easily understandable text editor.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is gedit downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of gedit.
As for Windows 64-bit, this software is compatible with:
Windows 11 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit.
Here you can download the 64-bit version of gedit.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, it is compatible with Windows 64-bit, in the following link you can download the 64-bit version.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- Which version of the program am I going to download?
- The current version we offer is the 2.30.1. For Windows 64-bit the version we offer is the 3.20.1.
- Is gedit free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to gedit?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.