- Marathon Windows 10
Marathon is a classic first-person shooter video game, in which we must save the space station of the alien attacks.
This game was developed in 1994, therefore its visual style and sound belongs to that time, recalling the legendary Doom, Wolfstein 3D or Duke Nukem 3D. In the beginning, the game was developed only for Mac operating systems. Thanks to this game is based on the open source graphic engine Aleph One, we will be able to enjoy this FPS (First Person Shooter) on Windows, Linux and Mac.
The story of the game takes place in the space station Marathon, which has been invaded by a group of aliens, whose aim is to gain control of the station. The space station is controlled by 3 Artificial Intelligence systems:
- Tycho: that is in charge of the communications of the station, and that has been totally destroyed by the alien attack.
- Durandal: that controls the automated systems such as doors, stairs, air flow, etc. Has been severely damaged by the alien attack.
- Leela: who is in charge of the defense system. It has also been severely damaged by the alien attack.
Our mission is to destroy the alien invaders, and to repair and restore the space station defense system. To do this we need to install the boards that has created Leela and that will be used to restart the system of defense. In addition to eliminating the aliens, we must deal with Durandal, that due to the damage suffered, has lost control, and has a strange behavior.
Marathon is the first game of the trilogy, and at the time it was considered one of the most important sagas of FPS, since it included news that until then had not been seen., as for example, the physics engine used.
The management of the game is typical of the games in this style. Keep in mind that in order to interact with the objects (terminals, doors, etc.), we must use the TAB key. We can access a map of the area by pressing M key. Even so we will be able to configure the keys in the start menu of the game.
The game allows us to play online games, though the servers tend to be empty. If we want to play online, we will have to call a friend join us.
We can record a replay and save it to play it at another time. Even at the time, the developers of the game (Bungie), created a competition in which you could send a replay of the gameplay.
Today, the visual style and sound of the game, can't be compared with the actual FPS, and that many users do not find it attractive. However, the story that proposes the video game can be a great factor to begin the adventure, especially if we are fans of science fiction literature. In addition, once we finish the game, we will be able to enjoy the second and third part. Both can be downloaded free of charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Marathon downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of Marathon.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- Is Marathon free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.