KiTTY is an SSH and telnet client for Windows, which is based on the popular PuTTY.
Linux and Mac OS X Operating Systems include the functionality to connect to an SSH server without the need of installing any additional software. However, Windows does not have any tool to connect to SSH. That is why PuTTY was created, to allow SSH connections, and to facilitate the handling and organization of created sessions. This program is updated frequently, but there are certain features that are not included.
KiTTY has all the features of PuTTY, and it also adds some new ones. KiTTY is based on PuTTY 0.63. So we can connect using SSH, telnet or computer serial port.
Some of the improvements that bring this software are:
- Data Portability: we will be able to save all sessions that we have created, and the program configuration, and use them in another PC. This function is ideal to store all the data relative to our habitual connections and carry them in a pen drive or USB Storage.
- Sessions Organization: this allows us to create folders where we can store the sessions. We can create and organize the folders to our taste. For example, we can create the folders: Work, Home and Collage. And each of them stores the sessions that we use. By accessing the appropriate folder, we will see only the sessions that belong to that folder.
- Automatic Connections to SSH and telnet servers: with this option, we can save the user name and password of the sessions, and access them without having to enter any type of data. Very useful to quickly connect to the desired server.
- Automatic command sending at the login: we can set up a command that will be executed right after the session start. We can schedule a pause of X seconds before the command will run automatically.
- Keyboard Shortcuts for launch certain commands: with this option, we can set up a key combination to execute a command. For example, if we usually access on a regular basis to the MySQL database, we can configure the key combination “Ctrl+Alt+M” to run the command “mysql -h localhost -u user -ppass db”.
- Execution of Local Scripts on the remote server: if we have a Script saved on our PC, and we want to run it on the remote machine, it will not need to upload the script or recreate it on the remote server. By pressing the keys “Ctrl+F2” a file browser will appear where we can select the script that we are run on the remote server.
- Transparency in the console windows: this function is very useful and common in other remote connection programs. We will be able to set the level of transparency of the command window, in such a way that we will be able to see everything that is located behind the connection window, and, at the same time, type commands on the remote server.
- Write Protection: this function prevents to type any key. Very useful if we are running some important commands that can be interrupted if some key is pressed accidentally.
- Always visible: this option allows the window of the session to be always in the foreground, and so we can take a look at what is happening in the open session.
This program is without a doubt ideal for system administrators that have Windows as their primary Operating System. It is free, simple to use and with lots of useful functionality.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is KiTTY downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 64 bits, Windows 8, Windows XP 64 bits, Windows Vista 64 bits, Windows 7 64 bits, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of KiTTY.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install KiTTY on your PC, you have to download the kitty.exe file to your Windows and install it.
- Which version of the program am I going to download?
- The current version we offer is the 0.63.1.5.
- Is KiTTY free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to KiTTY?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.