Inkscape is a vector graphics editor, which is compatible with Adobe Illustrator and Corel DRAW.
Vector graphics editors are programs that allow us to create all sorts of graphic designs: logos, icons, diagrams, banners, etc. The difference with a “normal” graphic editor, is that vector editors create images that can be resized without quality loss. That is to say, the created picture, can be enlarged or reduced as much as we want, and the quality of the image will not be affected.
Inkscape allows the creation and edition of vector graphics. Despite being a free software, the available tools to create designs are many and varied. We can freehand draw, draw Bezier curves, straight lines, and draw calligraphic strokes or strokes.
It also has tools to create complex geometrical figures as: rectangles, squares, 3D boxes, circles, ellipses, arcs, stars, polygons, and spirals. These tools facilitate the creation and drawings of high complexity figures.
The lines and drawn objects can be modified in a simple way, by changing the path of the node or by using the tool of “touch up objects using the sculpture or painting”.
As is usual in this type of programs, we will be able to insert text easily, change colors of the drawn elements, create image layers, group objects, etc.
It is important to highlight “Filters” and “Extensions” sections, where we will be able to modify the figures that make up the image, applying filters such as: black outline, diffuse light, bezel mate, neon, puzzle piece, aluminum foil, embossed leather, sepia, blur, distort, shadows, highlights, textures, etc. This allows us to create drawings very colorful, and have nothing to envy to those drawings made “normal” graphics editors.
The program uses the default file type SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), which is an open standard used in a multitude of vector tools. In addition, the program can open Adobe Illustrator files (up to version 8), and Corel DRAW files (7-X4, 7-13 and Presentation Exchange).We can save the file in different formats in addition to .SVG: pdf, png, ps, dxf, wmf and more.
Keep in mind that this type of vector design programs, are used in a different manner than “normal” graphics editors. So if we are not accustomed to use this type of programs, we must follow some kind of tutorial or take any editing vector graphics course.
Inkscape is used to perform a multitude of jobs in different fields, such as: web-editing, logo design, maps creation, technical diagrams, and no end of work. This is thanks to the program, in addition to being free, is open source and is updated frequently.
Although it does not have all the functionality of other paid professionals programs, such as Adobe Illustrator, will be more than enough for a lot of users and professionals in the vector drawing sector.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Inkscape downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of Inkscape.
As for Windows 64-bit, this software is compatible with:
Windows 10 64 bits, Windows 8 64 bits, Windows 7 64 bits.
Here you can download the 64-bit version of Inkscape.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, it is compatible with Windows 64-bit, in the following link you can download the 64-bit version.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- Which version of the program am I going to download?
- The current version we offer is the 1.0. For Windows 64-bit the version we offer is the 1.0.
- Is Inkscape free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to Inkscape?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.