FileZilla is an advanced free cross-platform FTP manager.
FTP acronym means File Transfer Protocol. When we say “upload file to FTP”, we are referring to upload a file to a server that understands and communicates via the FTP protocol. FTP servers are used to store files, and are widely used in the Web page development world.
FileZilla makes it easy to upload files to FTP servers, since it has a simple and functional graphic interface. All the configuration and file transfer can be done without having to type a single command in the console.
First thing we need to do is add FTP sites that we are going to use. We can add FTP and SFTP servers. SFTP refers to SSH FTP, and is the recommended method for accessing FTP servers, because the transfer of the files will be encrypted. We must type the typical data needed to carry out the connection: server, port, user, password, etc.
An interesting option is the possibility of defining the “default local directory” and “default remote directory”. This option makes that file browser automatically changes to default directory when the connection to FTP server is established. In addition, we can “sync” navigation. This means that if the local system access to “httpdocs” directory, the program will automatically change to “httpdocs” directory in remote FTP, making it very easy the process of copying files between local machine and the remote server.
Once we connect to FTP server, we will see that the file navigator is divided into two panels. First panel allows to navigate through remote FTP server directories, and the other panel allows to navigate through local system directories. This way copying and moving files between mahcines is as easy as selecting the files and drag them to the panel. The program shows copying progress in the bottom of the window.
In some situations it may useful to preserving files modification/creation date. With this program we can activate the corresponding option and preserve file dates.
Another interesting and useful option is the ability to limit download and upload speed. In this way copying process doesn't interfere with our normal activity on the Internet. It is common that when we upload a file to FTP, it flood upload bandwidth and we aren't able to browse the Internet, so to enable this option is highly recommended.
The program has an active development, and therefore, are updated frequently. We can check if there is new updates selecting the option in menu.
This software is free, open source and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is FileZilla downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of FileZilla.
As for Windows 64-bit, this software is compatible with:
Windows 10 64 bits, Windows 8 64 bits, Windows 7 64 bits.
Here you can download the 64-bit version of FileZilla.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, it is compatible with Windows 64-bit, in the following link you can download the 64-bit version.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- Which version of the program am I going to download?
- The current version we offer is the 3.48.1. For Windows 64-bit the version we offer is the 3.48.1.
- Is FileZilla free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to FileZilla?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.