VirtuaNES is a simple and lightweight Nintendo Entertainment System, also known as N.E.S. emulator
Without doubt that retro gaming is coming back, and gaming consoles such as the Nintendo Mini Classic, that sells all its units in the first hours of launching.Is clear that playing your games on the original NES, does not have any comparison, but you might just want to explore the great catalog of the Nintendo, and for that, you can use this emulator called VirtuaNES.
With this emulator you can play all the games (you must have the ROMs), with the advantage of being able to play them within your Windows. To do this, you must start the VirtuaNES and go to the Menu File - > Open (CTRL + O). It will open a file browser, where you must select the ROM you want to play, and that's it!. Doing that you can play NES videogames.
Control keys are the following:
- Direction keys → D-pad
- X → A
- Z → B
- Intro → Pause
- Right Shift → Select
This great NES emulator supports by default the joystick connected to PC's USB, so the gaming experience will be better than if we play with the keyboard.
With this emulator you can make the most of the games that we play, Since among other things you can: record the sound of the game in .wav format, play online, save game states at any time to retrieve them later, apply graphic filters, equalize the sound, record a video of the game, or pause the game (key P) at any time.
Two of the additional features that draw attention of this Nintendo emulator, are:
- Change the palette color. For example, we can change Mario's costume to make it blue, or make Link (from Zelda), a beautiful and striking costume to look red like Santa Claus.
- Apply cheat codes (Game cheat and Game Genie). This way we can have infinite lives, invincibility, infinite ammo, etc. You will find these options in the Tools menu.
The emulator comes in a compressed file, and do not need to install it. You have to unzip the .zip file and execute the file VirtuaNES.exe.
The interface of the emulator is in English, although you can download other translations files from the official website.
Without a doubt that if you want to remember old times, or you simply want to try the NES games without having to configure many options, VirtuaNES is the perfect emulator to perform these tasks. In addition to that, it runs perfectly on old computers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is VirtuaNES downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of VirtuaNES.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- Is VirtuaNES free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
Also, this software is open source, which means that you will be able to download the source code of the program, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you will be able to see how the software works internally and modify its functionality.