A new buddy for you
Have you ever tried using regular expressions while programming but always wondered: “How can I try this without risking my code and still make sure it does what I want?” Have you created auxiliary programs just to test regular expressions to avoid compiling over and over again in your main project? Or maybe you heard about regular expressions and are just curious about how they work? Well, if this describes you in any way, RegexBuddy will be your perfect buddy! And the best part is that you do not need any programming experience.
Nowadays, regular expressions (also known as regex) are a powerful tool for manipulating data and text; they are standard features in a wide range of programming languages and popular tools. However, it can sometimes be difficult to create or understand these patterns considering that its syntax can change depending on the programming language you are using. With RegexBuddy you will be able to create regular expressions that match your needs, test them on sample files without risking your data, and debugging them in just a few steps. But not only that, the tool will also be a helpful tool in expanding your understanding of regex written by others, while also improving your own regex!
How does your buddy operate?
This program is used for writing and debugging regular expressions. While typing your regex, the program builds a detailed English-language analysis, which is very convenient for understanding other people's regular expressions. This analysis is helpful in learning how your regex work and why they might not work in your code. You can just copy-paste your regular expression and the tool will tell you not only what regular expression you have to use but will also let you step through it and run it through some test data. All in real time. It will highlight all possible matches as you type!
RegexBuddy also includes a library with pre-created regular expressions on which you can rely. It includes a wide variety of tasks; all of them clearly described which could help you achieve whatever you are attempting. In addition, you can build your own library of regular expressions and use them whenever you desire, like your very own glossary of regex. Your amazing new Buddy also offers a built-in regex history, which allows users to compare the effects of different variations of a regular expression and allows them to work with more than one regex at a time.
Still there is more!
As if that were not good enough, it includes a GREP panel (similar to the ones in Linux) that allows you to search (and even replace) through files, folders and subfolders meaning that you can test your regex on a large number of files!
Your Buddy's Forum
Are you still not sure if you will be able to create your own regular expressions? Do not worry about it, RegexBuddy has a forum where you can submit your regex for feedback from other users, ask questions or see how others solved their issues. The forum is an excellent tool for exchanging ideas on how to implement regular expressions with whatever application or programming language you work with. So, if you get stuck, ask away and someone will be there to help you!
The program runs on Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8. Unfortunately, for Linux and Apple users it is still not available though, but it runs well on VMware, Parallels, and CrossOver Office.
- Expands regex syntax into something human-understandable;
- Compatible with several languages;
- The included library of regular expressions contains tons of useful real-world examples;
- Real time display of matches;
- Works as a regular expression builder and as a tool for learning regular expressions.
- Only runs on Windows.
Considering all the features this program has to offer, there is only one logical conclusion that can be drawn: RegexBuddy is a powerful tool for making sure that the regular expressions you are writing do exactly what you need. It certainly makes life easier and helps you get your work done! So why don’t you give it a try?
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is RegexBuddy downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows Vista 64 bits, Windows 7 64 bits, Windows 7, Windows Me, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 98.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of RegexBuddy.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install RegexBuddy on your PC, you have to download the SetupRegexBuddyDemo.exe file to your Windows and install it.
- Is RegexBuddy free?
- No, you need to pay to use this program. However, you will be able to download the demo version to try it out and see if you like it.