Feedreader is a RSS file and Atom reader, that allows us to be informed about news of multiple websites.
RSS files are used mainly by web pages to publish the latest news in a reduced format. For example, a newspaper web page of can have one RSS file for the latest sports news section, another RSS file for the local news section, and other RSS file with all the latest news of the newspaper.
Any user interested on the news of that newspaper, can use a RSS reader software to “subscribe” to the newspaper's RSS file, and to be informed of the latest news, because each time the newspaper publish a new story, that story will be reflected on the RSS file, which will be readed by the RSS reader software.
Feedreader is a simple program that allow us to receive the news of any site with a RSS file. We need to paste the URL of the RSS file on the software, and we will start to receive the news of that website.
The program supports password protected RSS feeds. In addition we can also create folders and arrange the RSS feeds using folders.
When the program reads the RSS file of the subscribed web sites, it will display a pop-up window with the latest news published in each of the web sites.
In the main interface of the software, a list appears with the title of all latest news published on the web sites. If we click on any news of the list, a summary of the new will be displayed on the right side of the window. If we double click on the title of the news, it will be opened on the software's internal browser. If we want to open the news on the PC's default browser, we need to click with the right button of the mouse over the title of the news item and select “Open article in a new window”.
We can add news to our list of favorites, so we can easily have access to these news at any time. For this, we'll click in the blank space at the left side of the news title. A star next to the title of the news item will appear, this indicates that the news has been added to favorites.
The software is not updated since April, 2009, so there are certain features that do not work. For example, subscribe to searches (Search Feed) twitter or Youtube, is a function that does not have any utility, although it may be set up, we will not obtain any result.
If we are looking for a simple software with which to read the news RSS, this program is ideal, since it is free, and although it is not be updated from a long time ago, complies with the basic task of reading RSS feeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Feedreader downloadable for Windows XP?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows XP.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows Me, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 98.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of Feedreader.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install Feedreader on your PC, you have to download the FeedReader314Setup.exe file to your Windows and install it.
- Is Feedreader free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.