DOSBox is an emulator for MS-DOS system to run games and programs written in this system.
The most relevant feature of DOSBox is which lets you recover programs and games that have been written with this operating system and no longer run on current computers because of the technology upgrade. In this way, you can enjoy the ancient games and remember the good times you spent with them when you were little.
DOSBox is installed on Windows, Macintosh and Linux, and when you run the program you'll face DOSBox terminal with an aesthetic similar to the DOS operating system. You will need to have knowledge of MS-DOS to use this program because you will know the commands and instructions used in MS-DOS.
DOSBox is nothing else than an emulator of the old CPU 286/386, which supports the file system XMS /EMS and SoundBlaster audio card for superb compatibility with older games. It also supports video modes Hercules, EGA, and VGA VESA characteristic DOS system.
To relive actual experiences of games, DOSBox also emulates the operation of audio devices, such as speaker system Sound Blaster, Adlib, Gravis Ultrasound and Tandy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is DOSBox downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Me, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of DOSBox.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install DOSBox on your PC, you have to download the DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe file to your Windows and install it.
- Is DOSBox free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.
- Are there alternatives and programs similar to DOSBox?
- Yes, here you can see similar programs and alternatives.