avast! is a free antivirus that offers basic protection against viruses and spyware.
Currently having a computer with no anti-virus protection is quite unusual and also dangerous, because there are many chances that unprotected computer can be infected by some type of malware, spyware, or viruses. This is because thanks to the Internet, the access to information is much more simple, and therefore we can download files and applications quickly and easily. This implies that we are more likely to download a file infected with some type of malware.
avast! offers a free version of their antivirus that we will be able to use unlimited. This version makes it possible to reach a basic protection against a multitude of threats that “dwell” in the Internet. Despite being free and offer a basic protection, this anti-virus will be more than enough for a large number of users.
When we install this anti-virus, we should keep in mind that we are accepting that avast! gather data from program usage, and use them for behavioral studies and statistics. The installation is simple and we can choose which components to install by clicking on the option “Custom Installation”.
Once the installation is done, the antivirus will run and launches a quick scan to search for viruses and malware in our PC. At any moment we can choose “Full System Scan” option to make a comprehensive exploration of threats residents in our Computer.
The program is simple to use, even so, at the end of the installation is a brief tutorial with the basic steps to follow to protect our Computer. It is convenient to take a look at this tutorial, as quickly, exposes the options and basic functionality of antivirus.
In this type of programs to have the virus database up-to-date is critical, so the software will be automatically updated every 240 minutes (we can change this number), and also offers the option to force the update of virus files, pressing a button.
In addition to protection against viruses and malware, this free antivirus comes with a number of tools that make it very attractive:
- Software Updater: this tool monitors installed programs on PC and informs us about available software updates. It's very useful and important, because many viruses and malwares take advantage of discovered vulnerabilities in programs in order to infiltrate the system and infect the Computer.
- Browsers Cleaning: this tool is responsible for examining installed web browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.), and offers the possibility of eliminating annoying toolbars that are typically installed in the browsers. This function is really useful and avoid the typical problems that arise when we install any of these unwanted bars.
- Rescue disk: this tool creates a bootable CD or USB with the latest antivirus definitions, and allows us to analyze the PC using boot drive. This is very handy for those cases in which, for some reason, PC will not boot up properly and we need to scan the computer for viruses and threats.
As a curiosity, the anti-virus allows us to view statistics of analysis that has collected over the use of the program, where we will see number of blocked viruses, updates that we have made, etc. In addition we will be able to see global statistics, where we will see a world map with countries in which more threats have been prevented and blocked by the antivirus.
The software is free, and the only requirement to use it free of charge indefinitely is to register via our e-mail account or Facebook. We may use the anti-virus for 30 days without having to register.
A detail that is well-known of this anti-virus is the female voice that accompanies it, and that warns us, very sweet, that the anti-virus is started, or the virus database has been updated, or the analysis is completed.
As we can see, this antivirus brings a lot of possibilities, all this despite the fact of being free and offer a basic protection. So we can say that avast! is a great option to install it on our PC, we can use it free of charge indefinitely, and the basic protection that offers may be sufficient for a large number of users.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is avast! downloadable for Windows 10?
- Yes, this software can be downloaded and is compatible with Windows 10.
- What operating systems is it compatible with?
- This software is compatible with the following 32-bit Windows operating systems:
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7.
Here you can download the 32-bit version of avast!.
- Is it compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
- Yes, although there is no special 64-bit version, so you can download the 32-bit version and run it on 64-bit Windows operating systems.
- What files do I need to download to install this software on my Windows PC?
- To install avast! on your PC, you have to download the avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe file to your Windows and install it.
- Which version of the program am I going to download?
- The current version we offer is the 2020.
- Is avast! free?
- Yes, this program is free so you will be able to use it without any limitations, and without additional cost.